What Is Required to Home School My Child(ren) in Kentucky

CPS Educational Neglect

What is required to home school my child(ren) in Kentucky? Parents are required to do the following to home school children:

1. Notify the superintendent of the local school board in writing within 10 days of the beginning of the school year of their intent to homeschool their child(ren) each year they homeschool

  1. The letter must include the name, ages and residence of each child in attendance of the homeschool. KRS 159.160
  2. When informing the district superintendent of your desire to homeschool, establish a bonafide school for the children to attend and create a ‘school’ name.
  3. This will be used for future records and diplomas.

2. Record and maintain scholarship reports of each student’s progress in all subjects taught at the same intervals as the local public schools. KRS 159.040 The person responsible for instruction is recommended to keep:

  1. A portfolio that contains samples of the best work done by each child in several areas of study and maintain the portfolio year after year to assist in documenting the existence of the home school or the transfer of the child to another educational setting.
  2. A record of courses taken and grades received.

3. Keep accurate attendance records of pupil attendance; the attendance records can be kept either in a notebook, on a computer or in another manner but must be readily available in case of an inquiry. KRS 159.040

  1. The minimum number of school days 185 days or equivalent to 177 six-hour days.

4. In the event that there is a concern about your child’s attendance, be open to inspection by directors of pupil personnel since KRS 159.040 gives the director of pupil personnel the authority in their district to investigate any case of violating the compulsory attendance laws.

  1. KRS 159.040 also states the purpose for a director of pupil personnel visiting a home school is to ensure that the requirements of compulsory attendance are being met and not to determine the quality of the instruction.
  2. This inspection of school records may be conducted in a neutral site rather than in the home.

5. Teach those subjects that will educate children to be intelligent citizens.

  1. It is required that all instruction be offered in the English language.
  2. Subjects similar to those taught in public school should be offered but  parents may offer other subjects as well.
  3. Subjects taught should include reading, writing, spelling, grammar, history, mathematics, and civics. KRS 158.080, KRS 156.160

Who is responsible for providing the curriculum and the instructional materials for children being home schooled? The Parents.

There are many websites devoted to answering the question: what is required to home school my child(ren) in Kentucky? Those seeking curriculum and instructions for home school families and parents may choose to enroll in an online e-learning school.


Kentucky Digital Learning Guidelines can be found at:


Kentucky Core academic standards can be found at:


If you require additional information on e-learning opportunities do not hesitate to contact the Kentucky Department of Education Digital learning consultants Tara Rodriguez or Grace Yeh, 502-564-4772.

Another local resource that can answer questions regarding certification for nonpublic schools is the Kentucky Non Public School Commission. They can be reached at: https://www.knpsc.org/

For more information on non-public schools/ homeschools contact:

Neil Watts or Amy Jacobs

Kentucky Department of Education

500 Mero Street

Frankfort, KY 40601




Finding a Good Lawyer

This is some of the important information on the question: what is required to home school my child(ren) in Kentucky? One good way to find a lawyer is to check out their online recommendations, ask friends, acquaintances, or other lawyers and attorneys for referrals and then interview the candidates. You can call my office at 502-509-1490 to schedule a consultation to discuss your options or set an appointment here: https://www.johnschmidtlaw.com/schedule-appointment/

Let Our Experienced Team Help

If you’re facing divorce, custody, grandparent’s rights, paternity, adoption, criminal charges, personal injury, or need deeds or wills prepared in or around Shepherdsville or Shelbyville or Taylorsville or Radcliff or Elizabethtown or Louisville, Kentucky, rely on our team at the Law Offices of John Schmidt & Associates. We will fight aggressively to help you protect your rights with the goal of obtaining the most favorable outcome. Schedule an appointment here: https://www.johnschmidtlaw.com/schedule-appointment/