Should I hire a private attorney to represent me in a Dependency, Neglect, and Abuse action

Dependency, Neglect, and Abuse (DNA) actions can be among the most sensitive matters any attorney or client will face. 

They are highly confidential and the Court’s strong concern for the safety of children often conflicts with the rights parents want to assert. If you’ve been named in a DNA petition, you are probably aware that the Court will appoint an attorney called a Guardian Ad Litem (GAL) for the child and will provide you with counsel if you do not want to hire a private attorney. 

Attorneys who volunteer to be appointed counsel often have a great deal of experience with the Court in DNA matters, including familiarity with the County or Commonwealth Attorneys, the Cabinet workers, and the attorneys appointed as GALs. They also are limited in the amount of money they can charge you for their representation. 

Between the connections and the cost effective representation, many people choose to use those appointed attorneys and navigate their case perfectly well.
However, if your case is more complicated or you want to contest the allegations or the removal of your children from your home, private counsel may be an option to consider. Appointed counsel often have numerous cases on the docket each time they go to Court, and that heavy case load can sometimes mean they don’t have the time or resources to take the steps you think are necessary. 

The Law Offices of John Schmidt and Associates regularly act as private counsel in DNA cases and knows how to represent your interests. We have experience working with the County and Commonwealth Attorneys, the Cabinet, and the GALs, and know how to resolve your case while advocating for you. 

If you want to discuss how we can assist you in your DNA case, please call us and schedule a time to meet with an attorney.

If you are in Kentucky, then I’d recommend that you call my office at 502-587-1950 or 502-509-1490 to schedule a consultation if you have an agreement, parenting schedule or court order to discuss your options.

Leave a Reply