Could other proceedings over which I will have very little control be triggered if I seek an Emergency Protective Order (EPO) & Domestic Violence Order (DVO)?

Yes. The prosecutor may decide the case warrants an investigation for criminal charges, an investigation by the Cabinet for Health and Family Services for abuse or neglect, etc. It is possible that people may be removed from their homes, warrants get issued for the arrest of one or more people, additional petitions may be taken, etc.

Once the Commonwealth takes up the matter on behalf of an alleged victim, then the a prosecution of that matter falls to the Commonwealth. Remember, one of the essential duties of any government is the protection of the health and welfare of its citizens and this responsibility is rightly taken very seriously.

Call my office at 502-587-1950 or 502-509-1490 to schedule a consultation.

John Schmidt


If you are in Kentucky, then I’d recommend that you call my office at 502-587-1950 or 502-509-1490 to schedule a consultation if you have an agreement, parenting schedule or court order to discuss your options.

Leave a Reply