Can my spouse (husband or wife) keep me married in Kentucky?

What the Court considers

The court must look at all relevant factors including the circumstances that gave rise to filing the petition and the prospect of reconciliation if one of the parties has denies the marriage is irretrievably broken in sworn testimony. Sworn testimony takes many forms including an affidavit, deposition, or other testimony under oath.

What if my spouse denies the marriage is over?

If one party denies the marriage is irretrievably broken in sworn testimony then the court may make a finding whether the marriage is irretrievably broken or continue the matter for further hearing not fewer than 30 nor more than 60 days later, or as soon thereafter as the matter may be reached on the court’s calendar, and may suggest to the parties that they seek counseling. The court may on its own motion or shall at the request of either party order a conciliation conference.

Finding a Good Lawyer

One good way to find a lawyer is to check out their online recommendations, ask friends, acquaintances, or other lawyers and attorneys for referrals and then interview the candidates. Of course, Law Offices of John Schmidt & Associates is available for legal advice on child support today. Call us now!

If you are in Kentucky, then I’d recommend that you call my office at 502-587-1950 or 502-509-1490 to schedule a consultation if you have an agreement, parenting schedule or court order to discuss your options.

Leave a Reply